Bonsai is considered a spectacle of nature because of its beauty. The variety that they exist because of this you can choose from a large number of bonsai. Lemon tree bonsai styles to find the one you like the most.
For many bonsai is a hobby, for others, it is just an ornamental item. But regardless of what you have decided to have it for. We are sure it will be the best choice.
Now imagine being able to combine the beauty and uniqueness of a bonsai with all the benefits of a lemon tree. Lemon tree bonsai is something that you should not miss. What are you waiting for to learn a little more about this plant? If you came this far looking for information about bonsai, how to care for it and maintain it, keep reading that this article is for you.
Lemon Bonsai: Everything you need to know
As we know the lemon tree is a very popular citrus tree, the best part is that this tree has the option to grow as a bonsai. Like a normal lemon tree, it is very sensitive to cold and has better growth and development when it is exposed to the sun for a longer time.
This lemon bonsai also has spring flowers and has quite abundant foliage, which as it grows it takes on a dark green color. If it is pruned correctly, it is very likely that the lemon bonsai will provide us with edible fruits that have the same size and the same qualities as a fruit from a normal tree.
Ways to prune lemon bonsai
This action is of utmost importance in the world of bonsai. We must be clear about the two types of pruning that exist, one of them is maintenance pruning and the other is modeling pruning, this is the one that is carried out more thoroughly, which is basically to model the tree and give it the shape that we want.
Maintenance pruning for bonsai:
This pruning is basically aimed at maintaining and perfecting the shape of the bonsai. This technique is better known as “Pinching”. As we already know, trees of this type concentrate their growth mainly in the outer and upper zone, so it is important to concentrate in these areas.
This punching must be done during the entire growth time of the lemon bonsai. Deep pruning is not recommended during this growth.
To do this correctly, all you have to do is cut the branches that are sticking out of the foliage.
Formation pruning for bonsai:
Generally shaping this type of tree requires the pruning of large branches. It can be quite difficult to decide which branch to cut and which not, as this action is irreversible, and also these are the ones that will shape your tree.
If you want to do a training pruning, the best time to do it is in early spring. To do this correctly, place the tree on a table, so that the tree is completely in front of your eyes and you have a good view of it.
Start by removing all dry leaves and twigs. After this you will have to start deciding which branches are too many and do not give it the shape you are looking for. For this there are no rules, really this is more about imagination and the design that you want.
Finally, if the branches are affected or injured by pruning. It is recommended to use the sealing paste on these wounds. This type of repair paste can be found in specialized stores, this will help the tree to heal faster.
Instructions to properly care for your lemon bonsai
- First, we must determine the size we want to give our bonsai, take into account that it does not need to be too small. Make sure to get a pot that helps the drainage of our plant. Depending on the type of lemon bonsai and the size you want, you will be guided to choose the size of the pot.
- Regardless of the size of your pot, you should fill it to a third of the center of the tree. What you need to make sure is that the roots are covered.
- You can use fertilizer during its growth stage, this will help nourish your tree when it needs it most.
- Put it in a place where it can have sunlight for at least 6 to 7 hours a day.
- Water it but not too much, you must allow time for the soil to dry a little before the next watering.
- Change the bonsai from its container before its roots tangle with each other. You will have to cut them a little and change the soil so that you can have fresh soil.
- For irrigation it is good that you use warm water. This is not totally necessary but it can help a lot.
- We must move our lemon bonsai away from areas with strong temperature changes. They must be away from heating or air conditioning.
- The dwarf lemon tree can bear fruit as we mentioned above for this is recommended. We remove the first shoots so that the ones that follow come much larger and with more juice.
- At the time of training pruning make sure you know what shape you want to give it. When cutting you know what you are doing and in the end. You will not cut too much because it may take a while to be able to perform this pruning again. deep.
- Use products that are special for these citrus fruits, as they would work better.
We hope that this information has helped you a lot. That you have been able to learn a little more about what a lemon bonsai is. Follow all of dwarf lemon care and maintenance tips.
If you still don’t have one of these at home, don’t wait any longer to buy one. Well, we are sure that in addition to being ornamental. You can use it for many other things if you take care of them properly.
Share this article with more people. So that they as well as you. learn how to maintain a lemon bonsai and are encouraged to have one at home.